Monday, June 4, 2012

DJs

Cindy and I
Picture is taken from my camera

There are many DJ events coming up, and I cannot wait till school is over until I can party!!! DJ events are a little different than what the DJs play at regular clubs (Mansion, The Roadhouse, V-bar etc.). At these DJ events, the DJ comes from outside the city and plays a different type of genre in music like house music, trance and electric.

Ferry Corsten was is born on December 4 1973. He is a DJ, producer and remixer. He started to self-compose live music in Holland.
I personally have not been to one of his shows but might be in the coming week! He also has released 5 albums:
  • FC System F - Champions
  • System F - Out Of The Blue
  • Ferry Corsten - Twice In A Blue Moon Remixed
  • Ferry Corsten - Twice In A Blue Moon
  • Ferry Corsten - L.E.F.
picture taken from my camera
Porter Robinson is an electronic dance music producer and DJ. He usually produces music in electro house genre. He is also very young (age 19).. Porter Robinson has produced some songs called spitfire, unison, the state. I also have not been to one of his shows.

Cosmic Gate with Emma Hewitt
Cosmic gate is a duo made up of Claus Terhoeven and Stefan Bossems. There are both born in Germany. They primarily play trance and hard trace. They usually team up with Emma Hewitt. She was born in Australia. She is a singer-songwriter and trance vocalist. I have seen their shows at least 3-4 times already. I think they’re very talented DJs and the songs play just makes you want to dance. I like how they work together because it incorporates voice and sound. A song I like that they play together is called Be Your Sound. This song is very catchy to sing and dance too.


These pictures are taken from my camera.
There are so many other DJs out there but the one I really want to see is Deadmau5. This DJ always has a house head. His original name is Joel Thomas Zimmerman. He is a Canadian house and electro house producer. I really like his music because it is not like the top 40 music you hear on the radio. Some of the music on the radio has a message about love, breakup and family whereas the DJ’s music is often based on sounds and instruments.

There is also a huge event that is happening in Las Vegas called Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC). It is an annual electronic dance music festival now held in Las Vegas. It was used to be held in California. This music festival lasts about 3 days (June 8-10). Some of the DJs that are going to appear at this carnival are:

  • Benny Benassi
  • Above and Beyond
  • Armin van Buuren
  • Kaskade
  • Avicii and Gareth Emery
  • Markus Schulz and Ferry Corsten
Dash Berlin and I
Picture taken from my camera
My two sisters, Connie and Shirley are actually going to it. I cannot wait to hear their interesting and exciting stories about this 3 day rave. I really wished I got to go with them but unfortunately for me, I'm in school. I think EDC would have been super fun and it is super hot out there unlike Calgary's weather.
There are upcoming shows that you guys might be interested in seeing:
June 9 - Ferry Corsten
June 15 - Porter Robinson
June 17 – Above and Beyond
June 29 - Cosmic Gate with Emma Hewitt
July 13 - Showtek
July 15 - Yoji

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! This is so cool!! I am actualy going to be in Vegas, from June 7-11, so maybe I can get a chance to see some of the DJ's! This is my favourite avicci song, check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ91VPOgasQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! I had no idea how young Porter Robinson was! I can not believe he is only 19. There are so many talented young performers out there!

    There are so many DJ's out there nowadays it is hard to keep track . Although I do have my personal favorites! I have seen Cosmic Gate and Above and Beyond before , they both put on an amazing show!

    Many of my friends are going to Electric Daisy Carnival this week in Vegas as well. I must say I am a little jealous, so I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Anna, its good to see people getting spreading the word about the music scene in Calgary. I'm a big fan of artists like Aphex Twin and LCD Soundsystem, so I'm always interested in local electronic talent. I don't know too many local artists myself, but Make&Model (http://soundcloud.com/mmodelmusic) puts on a really good show. I'd say he's firmly based in house music, but he dabbles in everything from chiptune to funk as well - check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Anna. It's nice to know other people that are into this type of music as well. I was actually at few of the past events at Flames Central. The DJ line up for the summer especially during Stampede is going to be sick. To bad I'm going to miss out on a few of them because I'm heading out of town for a wedding. But I'd love to see pictures from these event if you end up going.

    ReplyDelete